Sunday, September 9, 2018

"Look inside yourself. You are more than what you have become. Remember who you are."

May 1st, 2014: My 19th birthday, but more than that, the day I first signed my name into the Walt Disney World Company and began my journey as a magic maker. I still remember being so full of hope and excitement. I remember wondering what this new adventure would bring. I remember standing in line at casting and hearing them call my name accompanied by FRONTIERLAND MERCHANDISE...I remember my heart sinking. I didn't know then, how could I, that this was the very start of all my dreams coming true. Learning and growing in Frontierland ended up being one of the very BEST summers of my life. I grew to adore my co-workers, my guest, and my location. I was EXHAUSTED but I was HAPPY. I learned then and there that this Disney thing wasn't just a phase. It wasn't just a dream I had caught and released. It was the beginning of something SO much bigger. I sometimes forget that I got my start there. A lot has happened since then. But if just for a day, I would happily pull on my oversized blue skirt, button up my collard shirt, pull on some tights and rejoin my Ohana at the rickety old porch swing right outside The Trading Post.
Upper/lower zone stock costume

Upper/lower zone merchandise costume


My boys and I in Frontierland



May 27th, 2016: I had my second Traditions class and became an official Cast Member (again). I had SO many expectations for this program. After all, I had already experienced one. How could a second Disney College Program be much different. (I didn't know it at that moment. But I have NEVER been more wrong.) This program I was assigned to help open the newly renovated Disney Springs in merchandise. I was assigned to Zone 1 which consisted of 3 stores; Pin Traders, Marketplace Co-Op, and Trend-D. Work here was MUCH slower than it was within the park but my roommates were a DREAM COME TRUE. I loved each of them so much. They encouraged me to take the free time allotted me by a slow location and use it to explore different locations by picking up shifts in places I had always wanted to work. Because of their encouragement I also had the chance to work at Once upon a Christmas (Disney Springs), Animation Courtyard ( Hollywood Studios), Muppets Plaza (Hollywood Studios), and Cast Connections (Cast Member store). This program really helped open up my horizon and explore the possibilities of doing something other than merchandise. (Such as chase after my Entertainment dreams). While the job itself wasn't ideal, and A LOT of unfortunate things happened at home at that time, I wouldn't change that experience for the world. It gave me the greatest of friends and the motivation I needed to step outside of my comfort zone and really dedicate myself to performing.

Marketplace Co-Op, Disney Springs, Costume

Trend-D, Disney Springs, Costume

Pin Traders, Disney Springs,  Costume

Once Upon A Christmas, Disney Springs, costume

Cast Connections, Disney Cast Member Store, costume


Animation Courtyard, Hollywood Studios, costume

January 30th, 2017: I didn't need a traditions class this time because it hadn't been long enough in between programs. The 30th marks the day I checked into housing but I can't say for sure when I officially became official again. After attending a few auditions by this point I was fairly discouraged to have not received an offer to perform yet. I had always done fairly well but never got the official call. While discouraged I was very please to be offered a role as a CHARACTER ATTENDANT which gave me great access to the entertainment family and a first hand look at performer life. I have to say that being an attendant was by far the hardest role I had at Disney. It was so emotionally draining to be working hand in hand with performers and not be one myself. HOWEVER, it was the BEST thing I could have done to prepare myself for performer life, and I knew it then and thus pushed on. My roommates were amazing and I loved them all dearly. We took a lot of time exploring Florida rather than just the parks. It was a great experience to be able to see the world around me and to not overwhelm myself with the pressure that I felt with work. I know that this experience led me to be ready for what was to come next in my Disney story, and I am SO VERY grateful for it EVERY.SINGLE.DAY.

Welcome to Entertainment Class 2017
Loves to Piglet at Crystal Palace

Cinderella, me, and Princess Elena after a long day of meet and greets











November 9th, 2017: I attended what I told myself (regardless of the results) was going to be my LAST Disney audition. It was too emotionally straining to keep on auditioning time after time, year after year. I flew out to Orlando 2 times in 2 weeks (luckily Sydney was kind enough to pick me up and let me stay with her) (talk about a best friend). I had been told I had FINALLY been put into the hiring pool but all that really meant to me what that I still needed to wait.

Sydney and I after the audition! We felt the success called for Texas Roadhouse  
November 27th, 2017: At 1:00 pm my life changed. I got a call from casting. They wanted ME. They FINALLY wanted ME. I was completely ecstatic and felt unbelievably blessed (as I still do).

My Welcome Letter 2017
January 6th, 2018: I had my FINAL Traditions class. I sat and learned with such pride. I felt over the moon when people asked what I would be doing for the company. To be honest. I did, at times, forget my roots. I forgot about the sweat collecting on my face after long hot days at Big Al's in Frontierland, I forgot about the hours filled with the folding of 100+ shirts in Market Place Co-Op, I forgot about the heart wrenching moments as an attendant where I had to watch others do what I felt could be doing. I got cocky. It took me up until training to realize that I was not special. I was blessed, AND, that I would be required to put in more effort and work than I ever had previously for the company. I wasn't sure I was ready but I soon found I in fact was, and that every single moment was worth it. I love performing with Disney. It is my absolutely favorite thing to do. It is constantly in my heart and on my mind. Currently going from Full Time to Seasonal has been the HARDEST thing for me. When I am away my heart is only seeming to function at 50%. One day soon I'll return full time but until then I am beyond BLESSED to have the perfect role for me in the most wonderful company ever.
Everyday: I am BLESSED
I tell my Disney story to ease the hearts of those with the company who aren't doing exactly what it is that they want to do. It took me 3 College Programs and 8+ auditions to get to be right where I want to be. It's not easy to do a job you don't absolutely love but I am telling you right now. EVERY STEP YOU TAKE IS A STEP IN THE RIGHT DIRECTION. You can't give up. You've got to keep trying. When you finally get to where you want to be, REMEMBER WHERE YOU CAME FROM. Turn around and help the next one along. YOU WILL GET THERE ONE DAY but until you do embrace where you are and what you can learn from your current role.


No comments:

Post a Comment