Tuesday, December 3, 2019

You've got a Friend in Me

Being a performer in the entertainment department at Disney World is honestly a dream come true. Every day is so full of magic, wonder, and love. I know that I am beyond blessed to do what I do. I figured I would go down memory lane with you all (since its been entirely too long since I've last posted) and share some thoughts about being a performer with the help of some of my favorite furry friends.


1. Its okay to get emotional about the job. Feeling what you feel when you meet each guest is what helps makes the best memories for YOU. Every step you take makes memories for the guest. Every so often though, its okay to be a little joyful or a little sad about the guest you meet and the ones that touch your heart. Those are the guest you remember. I won't pretend I haven't cried meeting guest before. Emotions make a performer better. Never let anyone tell you otherwise. As a world we've gotten better at allowing emotions to be emotions, but that doesn't mean we are where we should be. Sadness has taught me that being sad is okay.


2. Sometimes it can be scary. Every dream chaser in life knows this simple fact. Working hard everyday to live the dream you're in, while continuing to chase added success is a scary thing. It can be exhausting working day after day, to be seen as someone worth investing in. It can be scary to think you may never get there. It can be scary to think that time is fleeting and that soon your dreams could be memories. You just have to have faith and live in the moment. Life is scary. Dream chasing is scary. Mike Wisowski: is not. (Though it was once his dream to be). You can be brave and scared at the same time. I am every single day. Bravery comes from moving forward when you are scared. You need one to have the other. Be scared. But also, be brave.


3. When you become a performer you are given a core character (or in my case 2 core characters) to become friends with. If there is one thing I have learned from this crazy duo is that they ARE NOT THE SAME. Everyone thinks they are twins (they aren't even brothers). They don't even realize that their personalities are SO different from each other. Somehow these two are still the best of friends. Being with them is the most pure reminder to be original. There is NO need to blend in with the other performers. Chip and Dale are unapologetically themselves (Especially Dale) and I am still learning to be too. Dale has most specifically taught me that sometimes its okay to be the one following the smart leader when you really don't know whats going on. We push so much on leadership but we forget to mention that there is a time to be a follower too. We can learn our greatest lessons by following great leads.




4. The cutest of the cutest 7 dwarves taught me so much. Sleepy, most specifically, taught me its okay to be exhausted. When I'm tired, it means I've given my all. It means that there is nothing left of me but tiredness. I used to hate it. Now, I love it. Sleepy taught me that even when I am at the very end of my rope, no matter how tired I am, I can still be a great performer. Grumpy taught me to always hold my head up high! Sometimes, being a performer can be physically taxing and also painful. Pushing through the pain is something I've gotten better at thanks to Grumpy! He has helped me find ways to adjust myself and see things through a different angle in order to find comfortability in uncomfortable situations.



5. WOW. Russell taught me so much with just the little time I have spent with him. One thing he taught me was to step out of my comfort zone and try new things. I am not a huge fan of working at Animal Kingdom (DAK) because I feel like I get lost too easy. Working with Russell pushed me to work at DAK and try new things. By doing so, I made new friends and new memories, but more than that I grew to love a place I once dreaded. Russell taught me to explore the world around me. He taught me to love all creatures and to have persistence and patience when working to for my goals and earning my badges in life.


6. Sweet, sweet, Winnie the Pooh. My very first friend in the eyes of the public. He has taught me far more than I EVER thought a stuffed plush could teach me. He taught me that hugs from the oldest guest are the sweetest, kisses from the youngest guest are the purest, and tears of excitement and wonder from the ones you wouldn't expect them from (most often times, teenagers) are the grandest and honestly most heart warming moments. He taught me that wonder is for everyone. Love is for everyone. Magic is for everyone. He taught me to expect nothing from anyone because I will ALWAYS be surprised (in the most glorious ways). He taught me what it means to love my job. He taught me to fill my tummy, mind, and time with all the best things in life (Food-Imagination-Family/Friends) and he taught me to never take any of those things for granted. He taught me the oldest in age could be the youngest in spirit and that the magic of Disney is truly for every age. I am so grateful for him.




7. Meeko! This crazy Raccoon taught me to be curious. He taught me to wander to new heights and to explore my surroundings. He taught me to trust strangers (until they prove otherwise) and to trust my instincts. He taught me to love nature and to do my part to take care of the world. Meeko taught me to ask for what I want. To demand nothing less than the best from everyone. (Maybe he does it in a more abrupt way but he still taught me none the less). He has shown me that there is excitement in everything and to approach every new situation with enthusiasm.



8. Remy taught me to follow my dreams. To do whatever it takes to make my dreams a reality. "Anyone can Cook" translates to anyone can dream. He taught me that believing in myself and in my dreams is the recipe for success. He taught me that faith, work, and effort combined make up the ingredients. He has been a rough friend to work with, but one of the greatest lessons I have learned from him is that I need to learn to accept my weaknesses. I need to learn to find ways to overcome the things that make me different and grow to find ways to acknowledge those differences as uniqueness. Embrace who you are. Love who you are. Embrace what you can do. Love what you do, with what you can do.



9. Koda. He is fearless. He travels with a stranger just to get to the Northern lights for the chance to find his mom. He taught me about family. He taught me to see the best in everyone and to see the best in myself. He taught me to laugh at my situations and to enjoy the journey. He taught me to be tough, but above all, he taught me the value of family. He taught me  that family doesn't always mean blood, it means love. He showed me that love can come in all shapes and sizes. A body doesn't make someone who they are, their heart does. All actions have consequences and the best things we can do in life is to accept those consequences and learn and grow from them. He taught me to turn to those that are older and wiser to help show me the way when I am not sure where to turn.



10. I figured with a shout out to Dale I should also put an emphasis on Chip and the things he taught me on his own. He taught me that there is a time and a place for fun. He also taught me that it is okay to have a little order. He taught me that there is a time for maturity as well as a time to dance like no one is watching. He taught me that being a leader is an important responsibility that shouldn't be taken lightly. He is the orderly leader with intelligence and patience that I hope to one day be.


These 10 furry friends have given me life lessons that I will keep with me and remember for the rest of my life. I am forever grateful and forever blessed by God's miracles and grace. He gave me this job and He gave me all the joy the world can offer. My top 10 favorite furry friends have given me some of life's greatest lessons and I hope that they have now touched you the same way they have touched me.

No comments:

Post a Comment